Thanks

Default Open D vs open G - help me choose !

I have been playing for many years but I am just a twiddler. Got a couple of acoustics and a couple of electrics. For a couple of years I have tried to get into open tunings and have mucked about with Open D and with Open G with the occasional foray into DADGAD. Instead of constantly retuning and trying to learn my way around one tuning or another I want to commit to either Open D or Open G and focus on learning my way around it, both for slide and non-slide. I am drawn to Open G because it seems to be (a step below) John Lee Hooker's main tuning (and JLH is my muse) and I like the triad on the top three strings. I am drawn to Open D because I like the drone I can get from the several root notes. What blues do I listen to ? John Lee Hooker (G, A ?), Lightnin' Hopkins (standard ?), George Thorogood (G ?), Buddy Guy, Son House, and all the obvious ones. When I search for advice I get loads of videos explaining how to get to the tuning (I know that), people telling me that Open D is just Open G but moved by one string (I know that) and that particular songs / players favour one tuning or the other (I know that). What I have written so far may sound arrogant but I am just trying to give an indication of where I have got to. So my question is: If I was to commit to one open tuning (and I am focussed on D or G but open minded about others), what would be the most flexible and give me the widest scope ? All views welcome ! Alan.
    Last edited by Sharkoftheland; 08-25-2018 at 05:42 AM.

Thanks

For what it's worth, I play in open E. Seems to be the most versatile tuning in my opinion. It is the tuning Sonny Landreth uses. You can get there tuning to open D and capoing the second fret.

BluesTalker
    Thanks

Open D and E are for that Elmore James riff and sound a little more rock and roll to my ears.
    I think of G as having a little more country flavor.
    It's a sweeping generalization, of course.
    Little Red Rooster is, I think, in G and is lowdown Blues.