BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Default The River - an original

Just me and a strat.

https://soundcloud.com/kerrydbrown/t...8-05-22-419-pm

My New Yearís resolution was to start singing at open micís and have a full set of original songs by the end of the year. This was the third one I wrote. Iíve got four so far. The others are not really Blues.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kerry Brown For This Useful Post:

SashaS (05-24-2018)

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

I like it keep writing and playing. I have a good friend living in B.C. Last I heard he was in Kelowna. We met when we both lived in Vancouver. He use to be with a blues band called Incognito but now is solo. If you ever catch his show tell him Byron said hello. His name is Sherman Doucette. One of the best blues harp players I ever heard.
    Rdrokit Power channel, rock/blues & roadhouse music.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc4...9lEgoWa39iqEgA

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rdrokit View Post
    I like it keep writing and playing. I have a good friend living in B.C. Last I heard he was in Kelowna. We met when we both lived in Vancouver. He use to be with a blues band called Incognito but now is solo. If you ever catch his show tell him Byron said hello. His name is Sherman Doucette. One of the best blues harp players I ever heard.
    How long ago did he live in Vancouver? I think I may have played with him in bar jams a couple of times. It would have been about six years ago.

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Really enjoyed listening, Kerry, please do more.
    What did you use to record it? I want to try recording something simple: with a "drum machine", playing a guitar and bass, maybe singing too. But I've never recorded by myself, trying (leisurely) to figure out how that can be done.

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

I used a MacBook Air, Apogee Jam guitar interface, the built in mic for vocals, and the built in amp sims. I think the amp was a Tweed with tremolo. I used GarageBand to record it. It comes free with the Mac.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kerry Brown For This Useful Post:

SashaS (06-05-2018)

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Brown View Post
    How long ago did he live in Vancouver? I think I may have played with him in bar jams a couple of times. It would have been about six years ago.
    Not sure when he moved out of Vancouver as I moved about 15 years ago. When he was with Incognito they use to host a blues jam at the Yale Hotel.

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

It was in the Chieftain Hotel in Squamish. There used to be a Sunday blues jam. The guy that ran it had a friend from Vancouver who came up a couple of times. He was an unreal harmonica player, easily the best I've played with. There is still a jam at the Chieftain, but on Thursdays with a different crew.

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Brown View Post
    It was in the Chieftain Hotel in Squamish. There used to be a Sunday blues jam. The guy that ran it had a friend from Vancouver who came up a couple of times. He was an unreal harmonica player, easily the best I've played with. There is still a jam at the Chieftain, but on Thursdays with a different crew.
    It was probably Sherman. He is the one who got me started playing the harp. Most people play the harp as an accompanying instrument, Sherman plays it like it was a main instrument. Here is a song he wrote and recorded when he was with Incognito. I just uploaded it to my channel.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rdrokit For This Useful Post:

Kerry Brown (05-28-2018)