Many people classify the earliest jazz as Blues. Dixieland is an urban Jazz-Blues kin to Classic Blues. What I learned this evening is that Chuck Berry, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Lonnie Johnson and other early Blues & Rock guitar players who played lead solos, owe a lot to Louis Armstrong and The Hot Five in the Dixieland genre.

In the 1920s Armstrong began taking lead solos at a time when trumpet played melody whilst the trombone and clarinet took turns improvising over the trumpet melody. But with deference to his virtuosity, the Hot Five gave Armstrong's trumpet improvisational solos, while trombone and clarinet laid back, one or the other holding down the melody. This Hot Five innovation, the improvisational lead solo, is what Mickey Baker, Sister Rosetta, Chuck Berry and other guitarists did within early Rock music.

Please add what you know, even if it might seem to correct what I learned. This is a new area for me. Hey didn't a violin or trumpet take solos in European Classical music? But it would not have been improvisational, eh?

https://youtu.be/BfORYuSJXTY