Thanks

Default Standard Eb, D or C# tuning Blues players ??

Hi !

I know R.L Burnside played some tunes on standard C# guitars (Goin' Down South is one of them).

So do you know any Blues guitar player in the same style or era who tuned this way ? Standard Eb, D or C# ?

Am guitarist myself and really like the sound of those tunings so I'd be very interested to hear what others have done with it!

Thanks

BluesLover
    Thanks

Hi, Julian. I play purely in the folk tradition. I don't really know the letters or numbers or words for music. But I do know that my slide playing is in Vestapol tuning which I believe trained musicians call Open E, and that serves me well. I also play in what I call Drop D for an interesting drone sound...the bass E string is fretted at the 6th fret and is tuned to the string next to it. I think is how I do it.

Thanks

Hi !

Thanks for your answer

Standard Eb, D or C# means all of your strings are tuned down a half step (Eb), a whole step (D) or 1 and a half step (C#).
    The sound is darker, dirty and mean, to my ears at least.

As the Drop D (I played that way during my metal years lol) and those down tunings, they are nowadays mainly used in heavy or metal scene as far as I know, so I feel kinda... Guilty ! lol I don't want to sound metal at all !!
    (SRV played Eb btw)
    But the R.L "Goin' Down South" (Early acoustic version, can't post links, sorry) with the C# tuning is so haunting, there's probably something interesting to do with it. (Tuning is not the only reason though), so I guess some other guys tuned the same way !

I heard that Open E is not really good for the instrument as you have to tune up a few strings, so more tension on the neck. A lot of guys tune to Open D and capo on the 2nd fret, which is equal to an Open E but doesn't sound exactly the same... I'm not a luthier anyway, just rumors I heard...

Anyway, thank you again for your answer and happy new year !

BluesTalker
    Thanks

I never saw a decent guitar that couldn't take the extra tension from 3 strings tuned up to open E.
    A lot of the "down home" players were poor.
    If they slacked their strings a bit, they would break less frequently.

BluesLover
    Thanks

Default A moment for gratitude, brothers and sisters

Quote Originally Posted by charlie chitlins View Post
    I never saw a decent guitar that couldn't take the extra tension from 3 strings tuned up to open E.
    A lot of the "down home" players were poor.
    If they slacked their strings a bit, they would break less frequently.
    Ya gotta wonder how in the world they could play guitars in the rural Southeast...no HVAC; heat 90 to 105 F; humidity 80 to 95; dust and rain.

Ridin the blinds or walkin. Who had a good case? How often could they change strings? Many guitar necks had no reinforcement much less a truss rod.

Look at us talking PRS, Guild, Martin...

BluesTalker
    Thanks

Here's my Blues machine.
    No truss rod.
    Giant neck.
    Funky to the bone!

rex.jpg

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

My slide guitar, Danelectro RI, is tuned to open A. E-A-E-A-C#-E After years of playing in open E I've decided that open A works better for me. I'm toying with the idea of dropping it down to open G.

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Bass Players perspective: I play more 5-String live these days so Im personally prepped, but if detuned guitar is anything like detuning a standard 4-string bass, I can tell you that Ive always had to go up string gauges to compensate for the the tension-loss. This also meant having to get another nut cut to allow the bigger strings. Very floppy, so its easy to overshoot bends with such a wet-noodle feel.

Ive played with a kagillion players who prefer the half-step down, only one player that tuned down a whole step, and never anybody that went down a step-and-a-half