Thread: Online Bands?

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Default Online Bands?

Anybody on here done this? Basically put down tracks and swap them online to create recordings by a band that's never actually met. I did it with a couple of guys from another forum I used to belong to (for lovers of vintage American Ivy League style clothes, would you believe!) and it's a lot of fun. The results are online here:

https://thehookvents.bandcamp.com/

If anyone here is interested in giving it a go for fun, let me know - I can do harp, tenor sax, guitar, vocals.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GarethE For This Useful Post:

LouKelly (03-16-2017), SashaS (03-16-2017)

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

I have wanted to record like that for a long time but never got around it. There was time when my friends recorded some of our music we played but I never got into recording, just played. So to this day I have no idea what's involved. Have an amp and a couple of guitars at home, experimented with a looper a bit, that's all.

Thanks

Unfortunately, I haven't done this either (but I'm very interested). I'm only on Soft Should Shuffle right now (OK, now on Falling Apart at the Seams). I like it! I have a stupid question, were you guys using any analog gear for recording? If not, it totally passes off as an analog production to my ears. As you can guess, I only have digital gear and to get a lively, organic feeling in the production is totally beyond me.

GarethE, though we only exchanged one or two forum posts between us (I'm listening to Uptight Sack Suit, by the way), I already pegged you as my go-to remote Sax/Harp player for any future blues/rock projects. I really the vibe in your playing.

The Hook Vents are a load of fun! It's really a pleasure to listen to.
    loukellyproductions.wordpress.com
    ltkmusic.bandcamp.com
    Facebook.com/LouKellyMusic

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Yeah mate - it's all recorded digitally - just a cheap sound card, a laptop, and a decent condenser mic. With freeware for the mixing - because I'm cheap! That's all you need Sasha.

I think it sounds analogue because I really don't know what I'm doing - I probably push the mic and soundcard a bit much and it loses some of the digital 'cleanliness'.

If you ever want any sax or harp putting down Lou, give me a shout - I'm up for playing on anything, really.

Thanks

Wow. Totally fooled me! The genre and performance probably also helped trick my ear into thinking it was analog. "The songs sound like they're from the early '60s. It must be analog gear then!"

I admit, I don't know when I'll need that authentic harp/sax, but I'll let you know when the situation presents itself.
    loukellyproductions.wordpress.com
    ltkmusic.bandcamp.com
    Facebook.com/LouKellyMusic

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

im up for it if you need bass tracks.......wide variety of basses and wide variety of styles

BluesLover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GarethE View Post
    Anybody on here done this? Basically put down tracks and swap them online to create recordings by a band that's never actually met. I did it with a couple of guys from another forum I used to belong to (for lovers of vintage American Ivy League style clothes, would you believe!) and it's a lot of fun. The results are online here:

https://thehookvents.bandcamp.com/

If anyone here is interested in giving it a go for fun, let me know - I can do harp, tenor sax, guitar, vocals.
    Great suggestion, Gareth. I have a friend who plays guitar very well but whose main interest is producing, arranging, and has a modest studio. I bet he'd love to jump on this. How can I put you two in touch?

Doug

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

I'd be in for recording bass or adding some slide work on a cigar box guitar. I can also do vocals.

I have written lyrics online with a friend from England. As far as recording my own stuff, I have not collaborated on my blues projects with others. I did a metal album calle "Hostile To The Gospel" and the band name was Mission Of One. All of the guitar solos on that record were done by friends around the country.

On my next Big Chris & D'Bare Bones Band album, i am working with a drummer I met online, but I made the 4 hour drive to record him live as I am not working with a DAW. I am still using my Korg D-3200 digital recorder. I just took it to his place, set up the drum mics, and he knocked out 11 songs in about 5 1/2 hours. Amazing!

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Here's my Mission Of One work. The lead guitar was done by Brad Windlan of www.guitarjams.net. He does his own albums under the name Pastor Brad.

Last edited by alldatndensum; 09-04-2017 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Left off YouTube Link