Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Default Great new record from unknown player

Just wanted to give a shout out to my boy Benjamin in Pennsylvania. He recently released a new record online: https://benjaminvo.bandcamp.com/album/rain-on-my-window

Great player and singer - I hear a lot of Peter Green, Hubert Sumlin, and Skip James in him. For a young buck, he's got some real wear-and-tear on his soul!

I'm his unofficial PR manager!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to champagne and reefer For This Useful Post:

Quill (03-17-2017), SashaS (03-06-2017)

BluesLover
    Thanks

Default Super talented artist

Thanks, Champagne, he's got good control with both hands on the acoustic number. And yeah, I hear the strong Peter Green influence on the 2nd track...the use of echo.

Not sure I like his strong, nuanced voice mixed into the background on track 3.

Track 4 has a great hook and creative melody on what sounds like a resophonic guitar. Clean technique. His vocals have a nice little vibrato, eh?

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BluesHawk View Post
    Thanks, Champagne, he's got good control with both hands on the acoustic number. And yeah, I hear the strong Peter Green influence on the 2nd track...the use of echo.

Not sure I like his strong, nuanced voice mixed into the background on track 3.

Track 4 has a great hook and creative melody on what sounds like a resophonic guitar. Clean technique. His vocals have a nice little vibrato, eh?
    Thanks Blueshawk. Yes, that first acoustic track shows a lot of finesse. Those short bursts of falsetto vibratos give that Skip James impression, IMO. The phrasing, singing, and echo scream Peter Green on that 2nd track.

I know what you mean about the background vocals in track 3. Would have liked to hear his voice more upfront, it's certainly strong enough to be. I think he was going for a "just walking into the club to see Muddy Waters" kind of vibe, if that makes sense.

I enjoyed the tracks that strayed away from the 12-bar format too. Still had the feeling, but gave a breath of fresh air to the blues that can sometimes get repetitive. The last track isn't what I'd consider blues, but still showcases some tasteful playing and emotion.

BluesTalker
    Thanks

I like Ben.
    We corresponded a bit on Facebook.
    My record label is in his backyard and I got him a listen, but they weren't interested...yet.
    He's still pretty young and maybe a little green.
    Nice guy and a really good player.

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

That's nice of you Charlie! I got Alligator Records here in Chicago to talk to him - they wanted him to go to a bigger band sound with a horn section, but he wanted to keep it stripped down.

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Just listened to the album, great stuff. I can definitely hear Peter Green as an influence, especially in "Things Are Getting Shaky". He's got a great tone.
    Last edited by GarethE; 03-13-2017 at 10:24 AM. Reason: punctuation

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GarethE View Post
    Just listened to the album, great stuff. I can definitely hear Peter Green as an influence, especially in "Things Are Getting Shaky". He's got a great tone.
    Thanks Gareth! I think he uses a Les Paul into Fender amps. I'll ask him what he uses next time I talk to him.

And welcome!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to champagne and reefer For This Useful Post:

GarethE (03-16-2017)

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

The production on the vocal there has a great late 60's Mac sound - sort of distant and grainy. I like it.

Thanks

I really like it. I'm really interested to hear how Ben's music and approach will progress in future releases.
    Last edited by LouKelly; 03-16-2017 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Poor grammar
    loukellyproductions.wordpress.com
    ltkmusic.bandcamp.com
    Facebook.com/LouKellyMusic

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

His tone is a Les Paul straight into a cranked Fender Prosonic or brown Vibroverb - no pedals. He uses a cheap 335 copy for slide. Acoustic tracks were done on a steel body resonator.

Quote Originally Posted by GarethE View Post
    The production on the vocal there has a great late 60's Mac sound - sort of distant and grainy. I like it.
    I know what you mean, Gareth. He mentioned use of mics made out of tin cans. FM is his favorite band so I'm not surprised he went for that sound!

Quote Originally Posted by LouKelly View Post
    I really like it. I'm really interested to hear how Ben's music and approach will progress in future releases.
    Thanks Lou!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to champagne and reefer For This Useful Post:

offhand35 (04-06-2017)