BluesTalker
    Thanks

Default Rolling Stones Blue and Lonesome

So...the world's greatest Rock band is paying homage to their roots.
    I'm listening right now.
    The title track (Little Walter) is raw and loose....very cool!
    Anybody digging it?
    Mick stepping out in a BIG way on harp.

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Best blues album of 2016, CC. Mick steps out on harp and Ronnie plays great nasty lead while Keith lays back for the most part. Though when Clapton plays slide on Everybody Knows About My Baby, Keith explodes with a trebly, nasty solo. I think he only takes a couple solos on the whole album, but man this one is awesome!
    Again, I think this album is perfect. Raw Chicago blues from elderly Englishmen who just kill it. They couldn't have done this back in 1964...they hadn't lived enough.

They just delivered their best album since Exile. And it only took 3 days to record it.
    Astonishing.

Thanks

I downloaded it last month and have been playing it a lot. I will be honest I have not bought anything by the Stones in twenty years but they were playing early cuts from on SiriusXM and I loved it. It may actually be the best stones recordings since Some Girls.

BluesTalker
    Thanks

I bought it.....It remind me of the Ya-Ya's days...I found Mick's harp playing to need quite a bit of practice...

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

I'm an old school Stones fan. My favorite song is Can't You Hear Me Knocking from the Sticky Fingers album (IMO their best album). Those were the days when Mick Taylor was still with them. Thanks for the tip.
    Marky

Remember the music is not in the guitar

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marky Forrest For This Useful Post:

SashaS (02-15-2017)

BluesLover
    Thanks

Default Mick Taylor, Elmore James, apples and oranges...

Quote Originally Posted by Marky Forrest View Post
    I'm an old school Stones fan. My favorite song is Can't You Hear Me Knocking from the Sticky Fingers album (IMO their best album). Those were the days when Mick Taylor was still with them. Thanks for the tip.
    No doubt. Mick Taylor added a higher level of musical skill to the band. On the live "Midnight Rambler" (I forget the album title but Mick teases the crowd, "You don't want my trousers to fall down now, do ya?") Keith and Mick have their solos and Keith's is great. Then you hear Mick's...whoa, quite a contrast.

About Blue & Lonesome, their sound happens to be my favorite electric blues sound, the Chitlin Circuit and West Memphis, Arkansas, of the 1950s. Those drums...them's the roots. Mick Taylor's guitar playing would be interesting on this album, but it would also add sophistication that just was not part of Blue and Lonesome's roots Blues. IMHO,

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BluesHawk View Post
    No doubt. Mick Taylor added a higher level of musical skill to the band. On the live "Midnight Rambler" (I forget the album title but Mick teases the crowd, "You don't want my trousers to fall down now, do ya?") Keith and Mick have their solos and Keith's is great. Then you hear Mick's...whoa, quite a contrast.

About Blue & Lonesome, their sound happens to be my favorite electric blues sound, the Chitlin Circuit and West Memphis, Arkansas, of the 1950s. Those drums...them's the roots. Mick Taylor's guitar playing would be interesting on this album, but it would also add sophistication that just was not part of Blue and Lonesome's roots Blues. IMHO,

I found this great Mick Taylor solo but lost it. Sorry, I'll look for it tomorrow.
    Last edited by Marky Forrest; 02-20-2017 at 05:35 AM.
    Marky

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

OK I found the Mick Taylor video I wanted to share earlier this morning. Does anyone have thoughts on how he gets that tone? I can't put my finger on it. As you can see, he is playing a Les Paul and I have a Les Paul Custom with 490R and 498T pick ups. Maybe his amp? I had to sell my favorite amp, a '65 Twin Reverb, because it was way too heavy and way too much amp for my house. Here goes:

The Rolling Stones & Mick Taylor - Can't You Hear Me Knocking - Glastonbury

https://youtu.be/cpwsTyD6XQg

I hope you like it.
    Marky

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marky Forrest For This Useful Post:

BluesHawk (02-20-2017), SashaS (02-23-2017)

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marky Forrest View Post
    OK I found the Mick Taylor video I wanted to share earlier this morning. Does anyone have thoughts on how he gets that tone? I can't put my finger on it. As you can see, he is playing a Les Paul and I have a Les Paul Custom with 490R and 498T pick ups. Maybe his amp? I had to sell my favorite amp, a '65 Twin Reverb, because it was way too heavy and way too much amp for my house. Here goes:

The Rolling Stones & Mick Taylor - Can't You Hear Me Knocking - Glastonbury

https://youtu.be/cpwsTyD6XQg

I hope you like it.

I found this YouTube. It's audio only but it's really good:

Rolling Stones - Blue and Lonesome (2016 Full Album HQ)

https://youtu.be/R1yJzFWy2AY

Here's another good one:

Rolling Stones Playing The Blues

https://youtu.be/NcNRXvmYuLs
    Marky

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marky Forrest For This Useful Post:

BluesHawk (02-20-2017), SashaS (02-23-2017)