Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BluesTalker
    Thanks

Now I'm wondering if I have to start hauling this beast to gigs!
    I have a tweed pro thats so beamy i can't hear it if i step a few feet to the side.
    I have a nice beam blocker though.
    I sit a tweed deluxe right in front of it!!

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

For me, it's usually a tweed based amp. My favorite right now is the Victoria Double Deluxe. Fits my application perfectly. I also like black face based amps but tweed based is my all around favorite.
    jumpnblues

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by charlie chitlins View Post
    OK...I've been wondering for a long time what it would be like hauling the old Super Reverb out to a bar gig in these times of lower volume.
    It was still pretty damned glorious.
    I've been using 1x12 and 1x15 combos that range from kind of beamy to phasers set to stun, and it was so cool how the 4x10 not only filled the room, but gave ME a chance to accurately hear and enjoy the sound even though I was just a few feet in front of it.
    No pedals...just a guitar and a great amp.
    And, in a 3-piece contex where i could hear every nuance.
    During a particular solo I was having so much fun playing on the amp's strengths, the harp player leaned over to me and said, "Super Reverb, baby!!"

LOL!! This reminds me of an experience I once had about 15 years ago after purchasing a new Dr.Z MAZ 18 Jr. I was playing my a#* off on a great blues number and during my solo the second guitar player told me in no uncertain terms I was too eefing loud. I found this incredulous. After all, it was just an 18 watt amp. My point being wattage does have a roll in what amp to use in a venue but it's not the be all, end all, of determining how appropriate a particular amp is for a gig or venue. Also, I did have a high efficiency speaker and the amp was too loud. So, efficiency is almost as important as wattage. But both are factors in loudness. If I had left the stock speaker in the amp it would likely have been just right.
    jumpnblues

BluesTalker
    Thanks

Cool Tweed

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnblues View Post
    For me, it's usually a tweed based amp. My favorite right now is the Victoria Double Deluxe. Fits my application perfectly. I also like black face based amps but tweed based is my all around favorite.
    I had many Blackface amps & never bonded with them until I got my Brown Deluxe.
    Now I sport some sweet clones. A Clark 5E3,a real Brown Deluxe,a Tweed Pro,a Tweed Low Power Twin (Victoria),a Tweed Double Deluxe (Victoria),and my single ended 12 to 28 watt head.
    I love the old amps and I live where I can turn them up !

JJ
    Man that was fun,let's play another one.

BluesTalker
    Thanks

One of the greatest tones I ever heard was a Dr Z MAZ 18.
    The guy had it turned around and pressed up against the back wall.
    Said he stumbled on that by chance.
    Try it!
    I'm still addicted to this '58 Bassman.
    I have no desire to play anything else.
    Big gigs, little gigs, recording, rehearsal....
    Nothing like it.

Blues Crazy
    Thanks

One of the greatest tones I ever heard was a Dr Z MAZ 18.
    The guy had it turned around and pressed up against the back wall.
    Said he stumbled on that by chance.
    Try it!
    I'm still addicted to this '58 Bassman.
    I have no desire to play anything else.
    Big gigs, little gigs, recording, rehearsal....
    Nothing like it.
    CHarlie as ya know my entire collection now is basically ALL,vintage finding the ability to not need pedals to re-create a tone sound etc....

So in reply to this thread my favorites are so me well known and some a bit more obscure
    I would place these amps in general but in NO specific order as special when playing blues
    Kalamazoo 7 watt Model 2
    Marshall Bluesbreaker 18 watt single spkr
    AMPEG Gemini 2 1966 one year amp
    AMPEG reverb rocket 65
    Fender Princeton Reverb.....
    An amp falling out of favor for blues but more relevant to rock and roll is my 65 Deluxe Reverb....
    My most recent acquisition was a 1964 Gibson ES-125 TDC.....what an amazingly versatile ax, that was changed a lot by Gibson in 65, also the addition of a very rare Double cut Harmony H-59-1 with the twin dbl mustache pick ups.....

It's a joy to get THAT elusive tone with the same gear used back in the day...though the one missing item is still the quality of strings today vs Black Diamond strings which were prevelent in the 40-60 , with the lack of
    Attached Images Attached Images

BluesTalker
    Thanks

Sweeeeet.
    I miss mine.
    I'll try to dig out some pics of me playing it.
    Stay in touch!!
    Great to hear your voice again.

Blues Crazy
    Thanks

Sweeeeet.
    I miss mine.
    I'll try to dig out some pics of me playing it.
    Stay in touch!!
    Great to hear your voice again.

THE PLEASURE was mine Charlie, nice to hear it's not just I wondering where the next NEW sound, trend is coming from.....though history repeats itself and new interpitations of old,blues will continue on....
    It's time for me to drop all songs from 78 on and like,Bowie refuse to,play those songs anymore.
    I think I,m gonna string up my standard SIXTY TWO TELE into a FIVE STRING open G like Keith Richards did which he learned from,Jimmy Reed...
    PLAYNG those partial FIFTH chords gives ya a sweet sound and once ya know it eases the finger action as arthritis sets in slowly.

THis is exactly why my love of guitar has never let me down anytime ya think u got it, there,s always a new thing to try and adapt to.

Cheers
    james

Blues Crazy
    Thanks

IN this thread there,s a lot of questioning about amp choice, having used the Twin Reverb, Pro Reverb and dbl,PeVey classic 50's back in the day today's technology allows one to have a Princeton Reverb pushing 12 watts and sound fantastic.
    NO need for all that power anymore as clubs have really come a long way with there own sound systems.
    THres a guy in N Carolina at WWW.THEAMPSHOP.COM who in my opinion make the very best and closest sounding Re-CREATIONS of some oldies but goodies
    w/lifetime warranties and a variety of Fender, Marshall,s best amps ever...
    BTW his prices are the most reasonable out there...
    CHeck em out, I,m sure ALL will,be pleased with what they see, n the tone as I implied closest to there original issue that all he offers are the BEST of the BEST.

CHeck em out....he's a great builder, and honest businessman

James