Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Default Favorite Blues Amps- Any Opinions?

Hello, I am soon to be in the market for a new amp. My most recent amp purchase was a fender 65' deluxe reverb reissue. I love it so much that i now play without any pedals and don't plan on anymore as i am in love with the harmonics and touch responsiveness of a true tube amp and now realize that nothing can replace a good tube amp. I play a epi les paul custom pro with gibson hardware/pickups. I narrowed down what i was thinking of buying to just a few.
    #1) 57' Fender Tweed Twin 40 watt reissue handwired
    #2)(If i can find a used one) EC Fender Tweed Twinulux
    #3) Supro Black Magik 25 watts 1x12
    #4) Supro Big Star 25 watts 2x12
    #5) Marshall, but im not certain which model. I dont want too much distortion as im not doing metal although i will want to be able to play cream, hendrix, and johnny lee hooker boom boom sound/george thorogood type crunch snarl and bite

Any and all suggestions and input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jake

Last song I played: Wind Cries Mary - Jimi Hendrix

BluesTalker
    Thanks

I gig a pretty wide variety of amps and have been a die-hard Fender guy forever, but I REALLY am liking an 18w Marshall clone I've been using.
    Its not a distortion metal amp (I play a lot of Jump Blues and like a big fat tone with just a touch of hair on it).
    I still like my tweed Deluxe (5E3) best, though.
    It's been to hundreds of gigs and seldom gets left home, even if it's just a back-up.
    I think every tone junkie should own a 5E3.
    DSCN3917.jpg
    I also love a tweed Pro (5D5, I think), but the beamy-ness of the 15" speaker keeps me from totally enjoying what I hear onstage, but it sure sounds great in a big enough room or in the monitor if it's miced into the PA.
    ALSO...I recently played a festival and there was a Black Magick there.
    I seldom form my opinion on an amp based on some sound company's backline, because their amps are often tired, but this amp hasn't been available long enough to be tired.
    I really liked it.
    I had about 2 minutes to figure out the knobs, and I didn't get a handle on the channels (1 or 1&2...some king of cascading thing), but pretty much every tone I got from the thing was killer...except, IMO, the higher gain tones that I'm just not interested.
    The tone control seemed to have a huge impact on the sound and tons of different tones can be found on that one knob.
    I would be very tempted to cash in my old Thunderbolt and get one of these.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to charlie chitlins For This Useful Post:

Barwolfe (11-20-2016)

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

A 5e3 would be incredible....but so is a Marshall 1974x. Great touch responsiveness but the only drawback is you will not get pristine cleans with it. Especially with buckers. But cranked it is beyond good.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakeboy For This Useful Post:

Barwolfe (11-20-2016)

BluesLover
    Thanks

Just read a review in the latest Vintage Guitar Magazine of the new Fender Mustang. It sounded so versatile and they gave it much praise...reasonably priced. I'll try to get the exact model for you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BluesHawk For This Useful Post:

Barwolfe (11-20-2016)

BluesTalker
    Thanks

Cool Tweeds

I play mostly Tweed clones.
    5E3 Deluxe
    Brown Deluxe
    Tweed Pro
    2 x 5E3 Deluxe
    Low Power Tweed Twin
    Homemade Class A 28 watt

Amp choice depends on the room and my mood at the time.

JJ
    Man that was fun,let's play another one.

Thanks

I'm a big fan of Tweed Deluxes too (my main amp is a 5E3 replica) but a few other amps have worked very well for me too:
    - AC30 with Celestion Blues (though it's too loud, maybe an AC15 would be better)
    - EC Tremolux
    - Hot Rod Deluxe - its big plus is its versatility.

HTH,
    Norm

BluesTalker
    Thanks

Deluxe wise,I run a 5e3,a 2 x 5e3,& a Brown '62.
    I have american tubes in all of them.

JJ

Thanks

The Marshall made an amp for John Mayall's Bluesbreakers (the 62 Bluesbreakers - confusing name because it was not made in 1962). It really gives you that British Blues feel, excellent tones, unbeatable in fact I've heard

BluesTalker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BabyToothBill View Post
    The Marshall made an amp for John Mayall's Bluesbreakers (the 62 Bluesbreakers - confusing name because it was not made in 1962). It really gives you that British Blues feel, excellent tones, unbeatable in fact I've heard
    Yea,a Tweed Bassman circuit with 2 x 12's & KT66's.
    I run KT's in 2 of my amps.

JJ

Thanks

Hello, have decided on the bluesbreakers jtm45 35 watt head with KT66's and tube driven tremolo. My only question is will it work with the marshall 1960a 280 watt cabinet or will i need a 100 watt cabinet? Ps- i was planning on changing the speakers out for 4 new scumback 25 watt clestion alnico replicas with PVC cone in future, but since the cabinet i bought to put them in already has 75 watt celestion greenbacks in it, i was wondering if i could use them for a few months until my finances are in better order.