Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Duke Robillard plays a variety of guitars and gets great tone from all of them. He uses minimal effects: "There are some effects on your records. Do you use any in your live rig?
    Just a Tube Screamer and chorus. I like the Leslie effect it gives. I’ll kick it in which I’m trying to play an organ solo on guitar."

BluesLover
    Thanks

Rick Holmstrom's playin the gritty, fat tone I associate with Elmore James, Pat Hare, and 1950s West Memphis. Pretty different from Roy Buchanan and many other masters.

I'm guitar-amp direct. Use my neck pickup (BluesHawk, Les Paul Special, Harmony Stratotone Jupiter same settings) with the tone backed off just a few notches; amp Mid all the way up with Treble & Bass all the way down, and Gain up 1/3 (Danelectro Nifty 50) or to 3/4 (Peavey Classic 30). Check out Rick if you haven't heard him...

https://youtu.be/JMokMF6oYz0

Thanks

Ronnie and Keith on the new Stones album...especially Ronnie. Sounds like nasty tweed.

Also, Glenn Kaiser. CHristian blues. Killer player and tone.

Thanks

I'll still say Clapton and B.B. King & SRV.

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Otis Rush's playing on "I can't quite you baby" is it what he's playing or how he's playing it ??
    The boys in the Beef Heart Band (Denny Walley , Jeff Morris Tupper; dan electro and strat through fender amps) tonely worked well together during some complex guitar parts. I saw Harvey Mandel and liked his sound a great deal I saw Albert King and he was very special.Yes B.B King sounds great . There are so many great players , the fusion guys, , Bloomfield and Elvin Bishop etc, etc, etc
    Honestly I can not tell the sound of one guitar or amp from another. I just know what I like by how it feels while I am listening. I did heard a piece the other day, bebop players doing it, and I really didn't like the sound of the guitar ,though ,the playing was amazing very precise,and the parts were great but the impression on me was thunk-thunk-thunk, but hey that's me , it was one of the jazz greats know for great tone .

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Another for Buddy Whittington...

Harriet

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

oH, SMACK ME SILLY i FORGOT bILLY gIBBONS. ACROSS THE YEARS MANY OF THE z.z.'S RECORDINGS ARE SEMINARS ON THE ART OF GREAT GUITAR TONES wHOOPS !
    Mr Gibons does it so well. His choices of what to play, how it sounds seems to serve the song not the ego of the player. I like the way his playing tells stories when soloing
    Some where on Rig Rundowns, his tech was showing a lot of the amps ,and speakers, sealed speaker cabs with the mics inside, there is a lot going into creati his live sound. His recorded sound for me is very tasty .