BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Default Your advice for singing, please!

Hi!

I have a reasonable handle on playing and writing, but my singing usually disappoints me (and worse, I suspect: others).

Here's a web page with some of my bluesier stuff.

http://www.thefullertons.net/nothin-...ues-blues.html

It's all me singing and playing. (Leon Fullerton is my alter ego - as real as I want him to be.) Have any suggestions for improving my singing?

Thanks!

cb
    www.thefullertons.net
    ( ):::

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Hi Bernie/Leon,
    Thanks for the interesting link.

Clearly you have chosen and accomplished your style, close miked talking blues in low register, so in a way you have reached your goal already. It is hard to say to which direction you should develop your singing, as it depends on your musical taste and goals, natural vocal range and resources of blues phrasing.

It is one’s strength to know your limits and not over try things that you cannot technically do or which sound as false emulation. There are enough examples of the latter.
    Roy Buchanan is an example of a guy who knows his singing limits (he sucks) and does not over try and suck more. And he gets away with it, of course compensated largely with his good guitar work.
    Last edited by rabward; 03-15-2016 at 12:24 PM.

BluesLover
    Thanks

Charlie, for many, singing is like a new sport. It takes stretching & strengthening of the vocal chords and related muscles, through daily practice. Whenever I've been singing for 45 mins., daily for eight weeks, my ability to control my voice, hit & hold notes, and add inflections, gets better.

Gotta add that rabward's advice is wise, IMHO, and you may have limits unique to your body. Enjoy the fact that true folk music like Blues has casual quality standards but and high enjoyment standards.

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Yup! Roy Buchanan, Danny Gatton, and Ronnie Earle didn't/don't need to sing at all to put it across. I'll never be more than a C guitarist, and song writing is what I do best.

So your and Rabward's comments (Rab, I like your reminder about "casual quality standards"!) help.

Thanks!

Thanks

CB, singing is all about communication. Great singers communicate emotion as well as meaning...it's kind of like method acting. I'm a classically trained singer (opera, oratorio, etc) but you'd never guess that when I'm singing blues. Engage your gut. That said, singing scales, arpeggios, etc. is extremely helpful. Everything you do vocally should serve a musical purpose. Only scoop if it's intentional. Hit your notes head on (practicing scales and arpeggios will help with that) and when you slide, slide like you mean it. It's a cry, a groan. It's communicating emotion. That's my 2 cents. Hope it helps.