Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Listen to Melvin Taylor "Talking To Anna Mae" best blues guitar solo ever recorded

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Greg Chaisson

He was the bass player on all of the Badlands albums--the band that Jake E. Lee had after leaving Ozzy. Greg went on to play in the Christian bands Die Happy on the "Vol. 2" album and Red Sea. He did one solo album called "It's About Time" that was a rocked out Texas blues and he taught that bass a lesson or two. If you aren't opposed to Christian music, definitely check out Red Sea and Greg's solo album. There aren't many bassists out there that I love to hear as much as I do Greg's work.

BluesLover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jmitch5 View Post
    Who should listen to and take licks from? I'm still new to the world of blues. Played guitar a few years but then discovered the blues and fell in love. Looking to continue to growing as a player. Suggestions?
    If you're just beginning to play Blues, I'll tell ya how I got into playin some Blues lead guitar. I'd find a slow Blues I like and try to play the bass line on my 6-string. After I could play that pretty easily, I'd practice playing along with the lead. Fleetwood Mac's live version of "I Need Your Love So Bad" (Live at the Shrine, 69) and the Al Kooper, Stephen Stills, Mike Bloomfield album Super Sessions have pretty cool slow Blues. Those were the ones that helped me get goin.

BluesLover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie View Post
    Yeah, I agree with the post above, you really need to specify whether its acoustic or electric blues you're interested in because they are totally different worlds. Also do you play slide? Because that adds yet another dimension. If you do play slide then you have to get the Paris Texas soundtrack by Ry Cooder, it is a veritable treasure trove of slide guitar licks to die for, actually even if you don't play slide you should still get that album.

I'm an acoustic player so can really only make suggestions in that area, however as regards electric guitar, if I were to start playing electric there is an instrumental track by Ike Turner called Ho Ho which would be one of my first missions to try and emulate. The track is more about having fun and he seems to go through every possible trick that he can in sequence. When people say that the blues is sad I would ask them to listen to this and then defy them not to be happy by the end of it.
    Geordie, is Ike playin guitar on this? Or piana? I know he's versatile but never knew he was this slick on guitar. And BTW...is that Black Ace Turner playin slide on your icon?

Doug

BluesLover
    Thanks

Priceless vintage TV from St. Louis of Ike's band and a racist host...you can feel Ike's soul bristle when he and his musicians are referred to as "boy".

https://youtu.be/oauMyJlLbUw

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by charlie chitlins View Post
    Jimmie Reed...so simple and tasty.
    T-Bone Walker for a little jazzy feel.
    Both of those players, the notes are easy...but the groove might take you a lifetime to cop!
    Also...when I have a student who wants to play Blues, I insist he/she get a copy of the first Fabulous Thunderbirds album "Girls Go Wild".
    Again...nothing mysterious...you can hear and steal every note...but the FEEL!!!
    I was gonna say Jimmy Reed, too. I recently watched documentaries on Duane Allman and Eric Clapton - both began with Jimmy Reed. Stevie Ray Vaughan as well . You mentioned the T-Birds; SRV's brother Jimmy was always so good.
    Regards,
    F. D.

Highway 80 Stories