Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Default Joe Bonamassa, Opinions?

My name is John. I'm only 17 but have recently fell in love with blues. Apart from the obvious greats such a BB, clapton, Albert king, buddy guy, t bone walker and so on, I am a huge fan of Joe Bonamassa. My favorite concert of him is on YouTube. Live from the North Sea Jazz Fest. In 2007. I think the guy can flat out play. What I like is his versatility. He knows how to play blues in my opinion. The very first song he uses a lot of Albert king licks, sometimes simple but full of energy and emotion, which is what I love about blues. He also plays songs like Mountain time which is a great song. The solo for that song from the live 07 concert is so cool. I don't think he's better than Clapton, but personally I'm a huge fan of the guy. Anyone else agree or disagree?

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

He is indeed a talented guitarist and has chops. However, I can't lump him into the group of blues guitarists that I enjoy listening to. He doesn't have the feel/mojo/vibe of a blues guitarist. He's missing the taste and patience. He fills every second with playing, never gives time to breathe. I know a lot of players use those arguments to bring down someone they are jealous of. But truthfully, I am not a player. A blues snob perhaps.

Bonamassa's talents and approach are better suited for rock and metal in my opinion.

Albert

3. The Following User Says Thank You to champagne and reefer For This Useful Post:

Jmitch5 (04-08-2015)

BluesTalker
    Thanks

He's a great technician. Plays very well. Overplays a lot { jerkin' off } because he's young. He'll mellow.
    I am jealous of him and his success. He is living the dream.
    Most of the blues "greats" that we admire never made the $$$$ or got the recognition that joe does.
    I don't agree about him being a metal player,that's pushin' it !
    A very good blues/rock player and a very rich young man is joe.
    He is a local boy. His dad runs a music store near utica,ny.
    If joe got you interested in the blues then that's a GREAT thing since you would not have been introduced to it by any of our hero's.
    Good job joe.

JJ
    Man that was fun,let's play another one.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jammin'John For This Useful Post:

Jmitch5 (04-09-2015)

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Some people love him, some people hate him. I don't get the hate, personally, although I do certainly understand why some people aren't fans of the music. No, he's not a traditionalist but he's been playing since forever, he obviously loves blues, and he's certainly paid his dues of no pay and dingy clubs for decades before finally 'breaking out' a bit the last 7-8 years. He's doing as much as anyone getting people into blues in 2015, so more power to him.

I love that he's a diverse artist and his albums are all pretty unique. There's a core of blues running through everything, but you hear rock, country, soul, and world influences depending which album and which song. His singing and writing keep getting better with each album. His side projects w/ Beth Hart, Black Country Communion and Rock Candy Funk Party are all awesome and showcase some of his diversity. He also has his own sound - he's not an SRV clone, he doesn't just try to recreate BB king for an hour. I like that he's got his own thing going, even if it doesn't click with everyone.

That said, IMHO he's at his best doing blues/rock stuff, as opposed to more "straight" blues. For example, I wasn't a huge fan of the recent Muddy Wolf show, but his "Tour de Force" DVDs from the Borderline and Hammersmith are both amazing. Live he absolutely kills it.

Again, I get why some people aren't into his music, but I don't get the animosity he seems to generate.

My top 5 JB Albums:
    1) Different Shades of Blue
    2) Dust Bowl
    3) Ballad of John Henry
    4) Sloe Gin
    5) A New Day Yesterday

He fills every second with playing, never gives time to breathe.
    I don't totally disagree, he does play a lot. I think there are plenty of examples of him not doing that, though. For instance, check out his solo here - it's such a great build up, great use of dynamics and space. Starts around 2:00, he doesn't start really "shredding" until almost 5:00, and then it's only a few bars.
    Last edited by ZeyerGTR; 04-09-2015 at 06:54 PM.

More Blues
    Thanks

Joe was a better blues player when he was a teenager if you've ever seen videos of his early performances. He had more of a feel for the blues before he got those extreme chops. That said, he does make more money doing what he's doing than he would have if he tried to stay true to the feeling of the blues.
    "The business ain't nothin' but the blues!" - Roland Kirk
    http://mike-wilhelm.com

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Willy View Post
    Joe was a better blues player when he was a teenager if you've ever seen videos of his early performances. He had more of a feel for the blues before he got those extreme chops. That said, he does make more money doing what he's doing than he would have if he tried to stay true to the feeling of the blues.
    So do you think he has followed the money in his career? or he just isn't a natural born blues player and maybe he grew into a different type of player?

BluesTalker
    Thanks

I like Joe , but I'll admit , he's not my favourite . He's a highly skilled musician for sure but he tries too hard , meaning , he plays waaaay too many notes , that's not how blues are supposed to be played.

I have several of his albums and a three DVD's , my favourite album is Blues Deluxe , my favourite DVD is live at Rockpalast , from back in 2006 , the lineup then was Kenny Kramme on drums & Eric Czar on bass. Both example's of his music mentioned , are from before he started getting carried away with the ten thousand note per minute stuff.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gearhead88 For This Useful Post:

Jmitch5 (04-10-2015)

BluesLover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jmitch5 View Post
    My name is John. I'm only 17 but have recently fell in love with blues. Apart from the obvious greats such a BB, clapton, Albert king, buddy guy, t bone walker and so on, I am a huge fan of Joe Bonamassa....
    John, you have an ear for Blues way beyond your years. Trust your ears. And your heart.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BluesHawk For This Useful Post:

jakebaynesoffic (08-10-2016), Jmitch5 (04-12-2015)

More Blues
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jmitch5 View Post
    So do you think he has followed the money in his career? or he just isn't a natural born blues player and maybe he grew into a different type of player?
    I really don't know the answer to that one but if he's like most talented musicians, he's doing what he wants to do. He obviously enjoys lighting up his audience.
    "The business ain't nothin' but the blues!" - Roland Kirk
    http://mike-wilhelm.com

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Thank you that means a lot. Blues has impacted me tremendously. Thanks again for giving me a read and your compliment means a lot.