Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    More Blues
    Thanks

This has been a fun discussion and enlightening as well. During the early '60s I had been playing a lot of Chuck Berry, Jimmy Reed and other electric blues stuff for awhile and was being booed in folk clubs that featured blues for not being "pure" blues. I would try to educate these "educated" college kids by telling them, "Lightnin' Hopkins is playing in this very club this weekend. Why don't you come and hear him. Are you going to tell him he's not authentic because he plugs into an amplifier?"

Then the first Rolling Stones album came out in the U.S. in 1964. I took one look at their picture in the window of the record store, took note of their name and went in. I looked at the track list, it was pretty much the same stuff that I was playing. Overnight, I suddenly became some kind of a genius because I knew all these "Rolling Stones" songs.

People remember the "British Invasion". They don't remember what I remember which was when Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf and a bunch of other Chicago bluesmen "invaded" Great Britain in 1958 and took the place by storm. They sowed the seeds of what became "British blues" just six years later. The United States is an amazing country...they don't remember what happened even six years ago!

This is why we are in the horrible political situation we are now in. No one has any sense of history at all. The amount of ignorance is monumental. This is one of the few cultures on the planet where people are actually proud to be ignorant. It is very easy to pull the wool over people's eyes when they are ignorant. I shake my head in wonderment every day.

Thank God for the British blues players, they hipped us to our own music! The average person doesn't even know that it is ours with the possible exception of people in the South.

"Clapton is God" indeed! He plays lead very well but as an all around blues guitar player he can't hold a candle to Muddy, or Wolf or Sumlin or Robert Lockwood. He doesn't even come close to being in their league (as Clapton himself would be first to admit) and Wolf isn't even known as a guitar player since he preferred to play harmonica on stage.
    "The business ain't nothin' but the blues!" - Roland Kirk
    http://mike-wilhelm.com

Thanks

Junior Watson is THE greatest living proper blues guitarist and that's just a natural fact.

Thanks

The Muddy Wolf show was OK. "An Acoustic Evening At The Vienna Opera House" I think was amazing!

BluesLover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Willy View Post
    This has been a fun discussion and enlightening as well. During the early '60s I had been playing a lot of Chuck Berry, Jimmy Reed and other electric blues stuff for awhile and was being booed in folk clubs that featured blues for not being "pure" blues. I would try to educate these "educated" college kids by telling them, "Lightnin' Hopkins is playing in this very club this weekend. Why don't you come and hear him. Are you going to tell him he's not authentic because he plugs into an amplifier?"

Then the first Rolling Stones album came out in the U.S. in 1964. I took one look at their picture in the window of the record store, took note of their name and went in. I looked at the track list, it was pretty much the same stuff that I was playing. Overnight, I suddenly became some kind of a genius because I knew all these "Rolling Stones" songs.

People remember the "British Invasion". They don't remember what I remember which was when Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf and a bunch of other Chicago bluesmen "invaded" Great Britain in 1958 and took the place by storm. They sowed the seeds of what became "British blues" just six years later. The United States is an amazing country...they don't remember what happened even six years ago!

This is why we are in the horrible political situation we are now in. No one has any sense of history at all. The amount of ignorance is monumental. This is one of the few cultures on the planet where people are actually proud to be ignorant. It is very easy to pull the wool over people's eyes when they are ignorant. I shake my head in wonderment every day.

Thank God for the British blues players, they hipped us to our own music! The average person doesn't even know that it is ours with the possible exception of people in the South.

"Clapton is God" indeed! He plays lead very well but as an all around blues guitar player he can't hold a candle to Muddy, or Wolf or Sumlin or Robert Lockwood. He doesn't even come close to being in their league (as Clapton himself would be first to admit) and Wolf isn't even known as a guitar player since he preferred to play harmonica on stage.
    And let's give credit to John Hammond, Sr., who began promoting Blues and in particular Robert Johnson to the mainstream in the 1930s. Credit to his son John Hammond Jr., to Spider John Koerner, Mike Bloomfield, Sam Phillips, and other White Blues aficionados of the 1950s and early '60s who were indeed promoting African American Blues to the mainstream. Though indeed it took the British Invasion to turn the most heads here.

Cheers,

Doug

P.S. Anyone heard how Blue Willy's doin? He'd been gettin pretty ill, stopped giggin, unable to get around much.

Thanks

Your comments regarding "bluesmen in suits" are very much along the lines of Elijah Wald's thesis in '[I]Escaping The Delta[I]". For my part I think he goes too far, hinting - but never quite saying - that there never was "blues" music, just popular music among a certain class of record buyer.
    When I die I don't want no preacher or grave. Just send me to Document Records.

BluesLover
    Thanks

Default Big Surprise: Muddy & his family cheated of royalties. Still.

Error. Not sure what happened.
    Last edited by BluesHawk; 05-03-2018 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Dunno

BluesLover
    Thanks

Error. Not sure what happened.
    Last edited by BluesHawk; 05-03-2018 at 10:37 AM.

BluesLover
    Thanks

Default Battle Over Muddy Waters’ Estate Rages on 35 Years After His Death

Blue Willy, posted a while back......"(USAmericans)... don't remember...Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf and a bunch of other Chicago bluesmen "invaded" Great Britain in 1958 and took the place by storm. They sowed the seeds of what became "British blues" just six years later. The United States is an amazing country...they don't remember what happened even six years ago!

This is why we are in the horrible political situation we are now in. No one has any sense of history at all. The amount of ignorance is monumental. This is one of the few cultures on the planet where people are actually proud to be ignorant. It is very easy to pull the wool over people's eyes when they are ignorant. I shake my head in wonderment every day."

Battle over Muddy Waters’ Estate Rages on 35 Years After His Death
    Alleged mismanaged royalties are at the center of the conflict.
    Elizabeth G. Acevedo | May 02, 2018

Legendary blues artist Muddy Waters’ heirs are in a contentious fight with Waters’ former management company over claims to $2 million in royalties. Waters, born McKinley Morganfield, is considered one of the most important figures in blues music and one of the pioneers of the blues rock genre. He’s said to have heavily influenced British rock musicians, including the Rolling Stones, whose name stems from one of Waters’ songs.

The court battle between the management company, formed by Waters’ former manager and executor of his estate, Scott Cameron, has raged on for three years. Cameron and Waters met in the late 1970s, and Cameron managed Waters during his late-career revival. Waters’ will authorized Cameron, through his management company, to “handle all of the royalty, copyright and license work connected with [Waters’] songs for as long as there is this type of work to be done,” and directed him to distribute the earnings therefrom to Waters’ heirs twice a year. However, shortly before Cameron’s death, Waters’ heirs asked the court to reopen Waters’ estate over concerns about how Cameron had managed the royalties.

Estate Reopened

In April 2015—32 years to the month after Waters’ death—DuPage County Judge Paul Fullerton reopened Waters’ estate after Waters’ heirs successfully argued that the estate had never been properly closed and that a new administrator was needed to determine the status of certain assets in Cameron’s possession: namely, Waters’ royalties. The judge granted the heirs’ petition despite arguments by the management company’s attorney that reopening an estate that was closed in 1987 set bad precedent and violated the statute of limitations.

The judge appointed Waters’ daughter, Mercy Morganfield, administrator of Waters’ estate.

Since Mercy’s appointment, Waters’ heirs have tried to unearth the whereabouts of hundreds of thousands of dollars generated by Waters’ estate but not paid to them. According to the heirs, the answer was in Cameron's financial records. In January 2018, they filed a petition to recover assets from the management company, alleging that between 2008 and 2014, Cameron used the management company to improperly divert to himself and his family nearly $2 million in royalties.

Cameron’s widow, who now runs the management company, disputes the claim. In a filing earlier this month, she asserted that, under the terms of his will, Waters’ heirs aren’t authorized to administer his estate and that the court erred in 2015 when it allowed his estate to be reopened. She also said that two of Waters’ famous guitars, which she returned to his family in 2017, should be given back to her because the family had failed to donate them to a museum as required under Waters’ will.

The parties are due back in Court May 9.

BluesLover
    Thanks

Again, as I try to edit, error...