Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    BluesTalker
    Thanks

A VERY expensive amp indeed !

JJ
    Man that was fun,let's play another one.

More Blues
    Thanks

Kara Grainger...an old Harmony with a DeArmond pickup still sounds good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGWYifCSzKU

And it's a joy to hear Ruthie Foster sing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlStYHu6H-k

3. The Following User Says Thank You to homeboy For This Useful Post:

voodoo (06-15-2017)

Blues Crazy
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by homeboy View Post
    Kara Grainger...an old Harmony with a DeArmond pickup still sounds good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGWYifCSzKU

And it's a joy to hear Ruthie Foster sing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlStYHu6H-k
    I love the fact so many artist...Dan Auerbach of Black Keys, Alabama Shakes, Jack White, even our own Charlie Chitlins and myself have found the so called B brands are far from JUNK...
    Take Harmony, Kay, SILVERTONE,Kent, Airline ,Teisco these were all handmade, with good wood usually Birch for semi n hollow bodies, ash, alder for solidly bodies, the necks mostly Mahogany n some higher end ones like the SILVERTONE ESPANADA had a Brazilian rosewood fretboard.

The outstandingly pick ups from the standard gold foil, to dbl mustache, Kleenex box and SILVERTONE's purchase of Gibson's P-13 stock as Gibson created the P-90 which was cheaper...but could not measure up to the P-13.
    DeArmond made some great pups, such as RHythm Chief which could be attached to any guitar..n was Muddy Waters first electric rig...
    THen the use of HI-LO trons n, Filtertrons and attempts at a mini Humbucker gave these guitars a distinct sound..a raw sound
    THe P-13 was so versatile it was used for jazz n blues...clean as a church bell or dirty n gritty when driven.
    Jack White. Now a solo act has made a career out of using B brands and his Tele.
    Hound Dog Taylor made 2 great commercial,hits with a Teisco as Alligator Records first signed artist....
    I own several Harmony,s Rockets, Bobcats, An Airline 59 3P n a SILVERTONE ESPANADA n honestly can say....they r certainly a special,group of guitars.

It was only3 years ago these could be had for under a grand...but recent acknowledgment by such great artists have had some models raise 4x in price n most are found in Excellent unmolested condition

Using oddball amps like SILVERTONE 1484-1454 Danelectro,s 10 spkr model, Kalamazoo,s Tele tone....also found undo at fair prices add to the Vintage tone these guitars make
    IMO there only weak spot is the Rosewood bridge which can be dry or worn....but by taking top piece off n adding in a Tuneo matic makes them easily tuned, intimated n unlimited sustain as the ol wood bridge she would strangle the string from resonating.

Next guitar show u r at..Check a few of these out, I,m sure u will be impressed.
    What it did was allow my tone n Overall sound to evolve alloiwng me to expand my writings.
    Eastwood Guitars is making re-creations of these fantastic guitars from days gone by, though very close, for a few bucks more than Eastwoods repro,s u can have the real,thing!!!!!
    James

5. The Following User Says Thank You to voodoo For This Useful Post:

homeboy (06-15-2017)

Thanks

I mentioned this in another thread but I might as well mention it here too. Brock Davisson is so inspiring! The guy is confined to a wheelchair because of dwarfism and club foot but he WAILS that Blues, his playing style reminds me a bit of Jeff Healey. He has one album out called 'Outtakes From The Soul' by Brock Davisson and Friends. The CDs have been sold out for a while because they only did 300 of them but there is the possibility of it getting released on vinyl - otherwise just digital only. I don't want to start posting links yet because I need to establish more "cred" but if you are into vinyl I highly suggest you check that release out. 100 need to be reserved for the vinyl pressing to happen and it's at 45 right now with 22 days to go. Just doing my part to help spread the word because I really want to spin that record, not trying to be spammy at all. But if any release deserves to be on vinyl it's that one. I'm sure if you just search for "brock davisson vinyl" you'll find it. Should be obvious by now, but I'm kind of obsessed with vinyl (as the name suggests). I have a pretty sweet Blues collection so far. Cheers, all! So glad I found a group that isn't on Facebook to talk Blues with people!

BluesTalker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead88 View Post
    Damon Fowler

COOL!
    I've played on that stage!

BluesTalker
    Thanks

Cash Box Kings, anybody?
    Not sure what "modern" means.
    They're out there playing NOW...but their Blues isn't modern.

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

I kind of like this guy. He's got a feel and edge to him....

https://youtu.be/AE7i87Ei3yc?t=81

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bluesnut For This Useful Post:

Blueshound24 (10-31-2017)

Thanks

Zito is tearing it up on that cut!

Thanks

For modern blues, the two songs I've been digging on the most lately are:

The Shouting Matches - I had A Real Good Lover
    https://open.spotify.com/track/1XMQ4...QxKJFH9PAOw0Dw

Hanni El Khatib - F--k It, You Win
    https://open.spotify.com/track/5YYtM...R46z4PEgJ2V6uA