Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Former Member
    Thanks

Default Modding Peavey Delta Blues Amp

Here in town where I live, we have a Saturday night jam session at the local farmer's market. People just come down, bring their instruments and jam in groups. Music ranges from Bluegrass to Heavy Metal and everything in between. Some nights we may have 7 or 8 different groups going at the same time so the trick is to get as many people in your audience as possible. The market is pretty big so there isn't much interference between groups (although there is some so groups learn to time their songs so as to not intefere with an adjacent band.)

Anyway, last Saturday night I was sitting with a blues group. Pretty good guitar player, bass guy and a good harp player. Since I can't really play with them, I was messing around with a washboard for a little rhythm. After we jammed for a while, the guitar player commented to the group that he really wasn't happy with the sound of his amp. He was playing a Les Paul through a Peavey Delta Blues 115 amp (30 pretty good watts in my opinion). He was wondering what mods he could do to improve the tone.

I have found some other people's mods online. Including changing the speaker out for a Jensen alnico, changing the reverb tank, and even one guy who has modified his output circuitry to eliminate one of the 12AX7 tubes to change the power output from 30 to 15 watts for better performance at low power settings.

Now I bet there are some people here who have tinkered with their Peavey. Any thoughts?

I did find this site for replacement parts that's pretty good.

http://www.tubesandmore.com/products/reverb_tanks

Blues Crazy
    Thanks

Jimmmmmm,

ATTEMTPTING TO MODIFY this amp first and foremost one should know what they are doing, secondly this amp is pretty dang good as is.

YOU can change the TRANNY, and tubes......CHANGING THE Z15's speaker is 99% of the DELTA:S TONE.

Having opwned this amp I must say that thisis one amp that got it right as it is.

Changing the speaker is bringing you closer to a FENDER AMP, eliminating one of the 12xa7 seems ridiculious and again is part of the DELTA:S SOUND.

Changing the reverb tank will do nothing as it alrady has a ACCUTRONICS tank which is best ...possibly buying and ELECTRO HARMONIX HOLY GRAIL will give him three other styles of reverb to choose from.

He can get the YELLOW JACKET TUBE CHANGERS nad replace the EL-84;s with 34's and all that will give him is more saturation earlier.

IMPO and knowledge of amps and having owned this MY SUGGESTION WOULD BE TO TRADE IT IN FOR A FENDER EXCELSSIOR/OR A PRINCETON REVERB it will give him EVERYTHING he thinks he wants.
    The lower wattage, difference in tone since it uses 6L6's....... He should be able to get the Excelsior for 299.00 and a return on his PEAVEY.

I think....MY PERSONAL OPINION so it could be useless...
    Driving the Peavey with a LES PAUL is a bit much....using single coils make the PEAVEY COME ALIVE......

I would keep the PEAVEY and contact BIT MOD or MERCURY MAGNETICS and see what they offer for a upgrade kit?

BUT I truely believe that the EXCELLSIOR seems to be the sound he is looking for though it does NOT have reverb it can be added as I did with a second one I bought.

I think it is NOT the amp , but possibly he chose the wrong amp tell him to try a PEAVEY CLASSIC 30 or of he can findone a 20 but they have been discontinued for years.

He can have a PRO change the tube sockets so he can put in 6L6's and change the entire sound of the amp but before that I would change the amp or the guitar I am using for that amp.

My wife often asks why I have 6 totally different amps...... as I tried to explain I saw the stareof WHAT IS HE SAYING so I went to basics and played the exac same thing though the 6 different amps and she NOW HEARD IT.

SOME AMPS ARE NOT MADE FOR WHAT YOU ARE USING THEM FOR.

I found my 56 re-issue sounded GREAT through the PEAVEY while the 335 did not.....why P-90's vs Humbuckers????????

FOR 299.00 IAM 100% POSITIVE HE WOULD LOVE AN EXCELLSIOR and with a 30 minute phone call I can instruct him how to add in reverb

I added a reverb tank and a VARITONE SWITCH and moved the on /off switch from the back bottom to up top with stand by.

Peavey are GREAT FANTASTIC AMPS and I know DAVE H AND I BELIEVE BLUESHAWK use em, they were a maiin stay in the CLASSIC 50 for me for over 10 years,they are well built have the BZEst of compnoents in em already so changing them is a test of what you know and how to get it.
    if ya want you CAN give him my email address and I will help him out personally as a favor to YOU.

JAMES

Former Member
    Thanks

Thanks James. I told him to just try an external cabinet to see ifthe speakers give him what he's looking for. Coudlnt' he use a Jensen external cabinet as long as he matches the impedence.

Former Member
    Thanks

This isn't Jensen, but Celestion is pretty good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Avatar-2x12-...item4abaa49e02

Blues Crazy
    Thanks

THE hard part about choosiing different speaker is UNLESS IT IS CONNECTED TO HIS AMP AND HE uses HIS AX THEN HE HAS NO REAL TRUE IDEAOF WHAT IT WILL SOUND LIKE

HE can buy a used 4x10 PEAVEY CAB which will PIUNCH out the sound better and that may be what he wants.
    A used 4x10 cab can be found for 200.00 !!!!!!!!

Peavey are the one USA brand that has a UK tone to it.

I think if he got a CLASSIC 30 it give ya 2 channels ...one totally clean and one where you set the pre and post gain enabling you to have alcean sound n then for your lead to switch over and have a totally different sound,'

IT REALLY SOUNDS LIKE HE IS LOOKING FOR A FENDER SOUND...... PEAVEY though can be used for BLUES as DAVE H will agree to and I persoanlly have had no problem with my CLASSIC but I did sell my DETA BLUES for that one reason it was NOT as versatile as the CLASSIC.

Tell him to try a CLASSIC 30...they sound GREAT at low volume and when pushed.
    they are certainly the ONE AMerICAN amp that can sound BOTH warm and CRUNCHY....
    How they acheived that is along electronic explination but one thing for sure is THEY WAIL !!!!!!!

Rather than waste time by email you can give him my phone number and tell him to call me n I will give him several options to mod his DELTA or help create a good deal for him
    to where he ends up with the tone he wants,
    Your idea of using an extension cabinet is great....but rather than pickiing out an speaker that you have no idea what it will sound like through that circuit, I would buy a OLDER FENDER CAB or PEAVEY CAB thus giving him a Vintage tone.

The DELTA is great for BLUES, some ROCK but when pushed to far it overloadds n gives ya a tone that is far from what ya want.

The classics have a STRONGER REVERB, and the tone and gain are MORE sensative.

As far as changing it to be a 15 watter that can be accomlished by use of the YELLOW JACKET convertors and use El-34 vs the 84.

FENDER RUINED the BLUES JR by using the CELESTION SPEAKERS with EL tubes......

I took a BLUES JR and changed the sockets, tranny and someother items to accept 6l6's and put in a NOS DELUXE REVERB SPEAKLER and it sounded like a FENDER should . That is the impression I get fromm his dislike for this amp.

IMO the DELTA is not a gigging amp even though it is 30 watts...... it is more suited for the studio while also 30 watts the CLASSIC 30 gives ya so many more options fgor tonal change that it becomes a great gigging n practice amp.

YOU CAN GIVE HIM MY NUMBER N I WILL EXPLAIN ALL THIS TO HIM AND ALSO GIVE HIM AN OPTION ON HOW TO FIX OR CHANGE AMPS !!!!!

JAMES

Blues Crazy
    Thanks

Jimmmmm

Yes he can use another cab with the same OR even a different impeadance.

The explination is along one filled with equations so I suggest searching AMPLIFIER IMPEADANCE and you'll find that a 16 ohm amp can use 8 ohm cab BUT there wikll be sacrafices.

Bwefoore getting rid of this amp he should certainly try a PEAVEY 4x10 cab.... I used 2 CLASSIC 50 with 2 4x10 extenstion cabs and my sound was PERFECT it was not until I went 100% BLUES i switched to FENDER"S.

Like pick ups...... amps have ther own sound BUT the idea is to get the TRUE sound that the STRING is giving you !!!

JAMES

More Blues
    Thanks

I really like the sound I get from my Classic 30. It sounds good with my ZenDrive, and the cleans are as good as I could want. Since I use the ZenDrive to excite my tubes, I can't really comment on the overdrive channel in this amp. It has the original Blue Marvel speaker, which from what I have read, is crap. Had me fooled a little. :^} I have been toying with the idea of throwing a Weber in there just to see, but I haven't acted on that yet. Soon though.

My Blues JR. is, at this time, my last line of defense, and the amp I take to rehearsals. I replaced the speaker with a Celestion V30, and dumped the Groove Tubes for a set of JJ's. It seems to me that over the past couple years it has gotten a little too flabby(I like a little flab), I think it's time for new tubes in it. This is a second generation model. It was one of the first to come out with Groove Tubes, but before the amp went south and the price went north.

BluesLover
    Thanks

My Peavy Classic 30 is always on the overdrive channel unless I'm tuning up. That's the Blues and Blues-Rock tonal ballpark I'm playing in right now. For me, performance is great with my P90s guitars and with my traditional single coils guitars. Since I'm relatively new to electric guitars, my judgement is still developing for what I hear...and I have not experimented with high volume yet.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Blues Crazy
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BluesHawk View Post
    My Peavy Classic 30 is always on the overdrive channel unless I'm tuning up. That's the Blues and Blues-Rock tonal ballpark I'm playing in right now. For me, performance is great with my P90s guitars and with my traditional single coils guitars. Since I'm relatively new to electric guitars, my judgement is still developing for what I hear...and I have not experimented with high volume yet.

Hope this helps.

Doug
    DOUG try setting up channel 1 for clean and when ya play rhythm and set chanel 2 for your crunchy leads...... it really makes you and the ax sound so much more versatile and seperating the tone at certain parts adds emotion and a natural meldoci change in the verse vs chorus n run.

That seperation adds character.

CRAN K up that baby on CLEAN and hear the way it gets dirty n gritty naturally !!!!!!!

JAMES

Thanks

Default I would very much like to know how to add a reverb tank to a fender excelsior.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
    Jimmmmmm,

ATTEMTPTING TO MODIFY this amp first and foremost one should know what they are doing, secondly this amp is pretty dang good as is.

YOU can change the TRANNY, and tubes......CHANGING THE Z15's speaker is 99% of the DELTA:S TONE.

Having opwned this amp I must say that thisis one amp that got it right as it is.

Changing the speaker is bringing you closer to a FENDER AMP, eliminating one of the 12xa7 seems ridiculious and again is part of the DELTA:S SOUND.

Changing the reverb tank will do nothing as it alrady has a ACCUTRONICS tank which is best ...possibly buying and ELECTRO HARMONIX HOLY GRAIL will give him three other styles of reverb to choose from.

He can get the YELLOW JACKET TUBE CHANGERS nad replace the EL-84;s with 34's and all that will give him is more saturation earlier.

IMPO and knowledge of amps and having owned this MY SUGGESTION WOULD BE TO TRADE IT IN FOR A FENDER EXCELSSIOR/OR A PRINCETON REVERB it will give him EVERYTHING he thinks he wants.
    The lower wattage, difference in tone since it uses 6L6's....... He should be able to get the Excelsior for 299.00 and a return on his PEAVEY.

I think....MY PERSONAL OPINION so it could be useless...
    Driving the Peavey with a LES PAUL is a bit much....using single coils make the PEAVEY COME ALIVE......

I would keep the PEAVEY and contact BIT MOD or MERCURY MAGNETICS and see what they offer for a upgrade kit?

BUT I truely believe that the EXCELLSIOR seems to be the sound he is looking for though it does NOT have reverb it can be added as I did with a second one I bought.

I think it is NOT the amp , but possibly he chose the wrong amp tell him to try a PEAVEY CLASSIC 30 or of he can findone a 20 but they have been discontinued for years.

He can have a PRO change the tube sockets so he can put in 6L6's and change the entire sound of the amp but before that I would change the amp or the guitar I am using for that amp.

My wife often asks why I have 6 totally different amps...... as I tried to explain I saw the stareof WHAT IS HE SAYING so I went to basics and played the exac same thing though the 6 different amps and she NOW HEARD IT.

SOME AMPS ARE NOT MADE FOR WHAT YOU ARE USING THEM FOR.

I found my 56 re-issue sounded GREAT through the PEAVEY while the 335 did not.....why P-90's vs Humbuckers????????

FOR 299.00 IAM 100% POSITIVE HE WOULD LOVE AN EXCELLSIOR and with a 30 minute phone call I can instruct him how to add in reverb

I added a reverb tank and a VARITONE SWITCH and moved the on /off switch from the back bottom to up top with stand by.I would love to know how to add a reverb tank to a fender excelsior. Please contact me!

Peavey are GREAT FANTASTIC AMPS and I know DAVE H AND I BELIEVE BLUESHAWK use em, they were a maiin stay in the CLASSIC 50 for me for over 10 years,they are well built have the BZEst of compnoents in em already so changing them is a test of what you know and how to get it.
    if ya want you CAN give him my email address and I will help him out personally as a favor to YOU.

JAMES
    Would like to know how to do the reverb tank mod on the excelsior. Contact me.