Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blues Crazy
    Thanks

Cool AN old Frontman;s hint to TOTAL control of your voice.

Having been a frontman/guitarist for 40+ years, I learned a few tricks n tips/

1....if ya want that GROWL in your songs SVAE them for the middle to the end of the set......your voice will almost be there by straining it which you can do by singing through your throat and NOT your lungs

2.....Want that real Bluesy sound.......try a pack of kools n a few shots of SOUTHERN COMFORT OR JACK.

3....KNOW you limits if you have a voice like I do...a mick Jagger, Howlin Wolf kind of voice ya DO NOT try to sing the STAR SPANGLED BANNER or ya learn to drop low when everyone goes high.

4......BEFORE you go on stage...... to clean off your vocal chords and have total control for at least 45 minutes try a SHOT OF PURE LEMON JUICE it cuts all phlem off you vocal chords.

5...You may think you;re a natual....maybe. even still take even 5 singing lesson;s.....you'll be amazed how much you'll learn.

6...TAKE care of your voice.....learn to use what ya got without killiing it...usually that;s a combo off you/ sound man and GREAT back up singers.

7.....GOOD MONITORS...if you can;t hear yourself you;re gonna raise your voice when alll ya need to do is have the sound man raise your VOCAL ONLY monitor.
    Many singers have a monitor in front of them that has the COMPLETE MIX........ it was Todd Rundgrend who told me to have TWO monitors...... one with VOCAL ONLY and one with the COMPLETE MIX !!!!! IT WORKS !!!!!

8.....DO not be afraid to use any of the new tech stuff they have like OCVTAVE SPLITTERS, dbl n triple tracking of your voice so you do not have to put so much into it.

The BOTTOM line is your vocal range is what ya got STAY WITHIN IT and you'll do fine........

You may find new tones within your range if you work on it hence the reason why I suggest a few lesson;s/
    What I learned from those lesson;s made it possible for me to play 3-5 times a week....When we forst got going you were trying to put so much into it you were hoarse if ya had to gig the next day you better not talk that day.

FOR those who like a SPLIFF NOW N THEN.......NOT BEFORE YA GOTTA SING...........and if you like NOSE CANDY wether it be snorted or smoked it will take away ALL control of your vocal chords by freezing them.....so that's about it.

I would say the best advice is to take a few lesson;;s/////

Any professional will have tips you need and even though I had been singing for 10 years prior to taking the lesson;s the whole set went so much smoother and I was less winded and no longer hoarse after the lessons.

Good Luck.......remember....DO NOT try to sound like anyone else BE YOURSELF and stand apart from the rest.

James
    Last edited by voodoo; 07-14-2012 at 01:10 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to voodoo For This Useful Post:

claghorn (02-26-2015), NYBlues (03-31-2014), Stark (03-31-2014)

Former Member
    Thanks

I would say there are some good nuggets of help- here.

But I don't know how to overcome age and the effect it has on the vocal chords. Somehow my bass voice is still fair, but don't ask me to sing anything above a middle C.

Blues Crazy
    Thanks

Jimmmmm

I tooo have lost a ton of range....... I would imagineif we were totala pro;s we would have continued with Lesson;s and learned how to control ones voice'
    Look AT Buddy Guy.....he still hitsl those high notes while BB KING stays in that low range.

If ya really wanna make you;re voice reach the notes ya can;t that were the NEW WORLD TECHNOLOGY comes in....

I have heard myself sing and then with an OCTAVE SPLITTER having that low E raised to a C and sound fine

I know to a purist like you n I thatl;s NOT an option.

Maybe it's time for you to -re-find your NEW VOICE.

I feel if ya got it or HAD it you still do ya just gotta find where it is at now.

My biggest fear now is them doing surgery on my thyroid and doing damage to my vocal chords....though I do not see many requests for me to sing coming in !!!!! lol

jimmmmm you;re a true musician........ AS I found out n you will to.....I am sure when you were my age you had to change you singing style......do it again.

Try the lemon juice trick......I SWEAR IT WORKS and gives me range I never had before....but the juice 's acid is hard on the gut !!!!

The singers that really had voices in there early ages I notice seem to TALK more than sing in ther music today or do what I did when I changed stylesof music from ROCK to BLUES.....get some great BLACK CHICS to sing back up and when ever ther was a note I was gonna have trouble with they sang along with me thus hiding my imperfection.

If there is a will there is a way !!!!!!

JAMES

BluesLover
    Thanks

All good stuff James- the lemon juice trick is not something I have tried but as well as affecting the gut, it won't do your teeth any good.
    Another tip I would add is to tune down to Eb - and obviously get the rest of the band to also

This makes the songs slightly easier on the voice. Right now I would say my voice is about as good as it is ever going to get- I have never smoked and I am usually driving to/from gigs so alcohol is not allowed.
    History is only important when you are making it

Blues Crazy
    Thanks

Try tonic water with the lemon juice mixed in,........

To get the raspy sound one can also sing through there vocal chords and not there diaghram (sp?).

BIG BIG DIFFERENCE........learaning how to control a voice is like learning how to play a guitar...ther are many tricks n little things one can do to imprive sound quality.

My saving grace was black chics singinng back up.......I got turned on to how good it sounded when STEVE MARRIOT STARTED IT with HUMBLE PIE' THEN ROXY MUSIC< THEN BOWIE......and of course all the MOWTON BANDS......

But if was how these singers used these chics to HELP on the notes theat were a ....S_T_R_E_T_C_H and would sound crapppy......this way you slowly pull the mic away and they used your voice for the note and there to make it sound good !!!!!

JAMES

sadly that;s more money to put out while at a gig !!!!!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to voodoo For This Useful Post:

Stark (03-31-2014), tenn_jim (07-17-2012)

BluesLover
    Thanks

Yeah the tonic water/lemon juice idea sounds good.My voice sounds better towards the end of a gig as it has warmed up a bit and it gets a bit raspy and that works best for me.
    Downhill all the way for me probably.
    History is only important when you are making it

Blues Crazy
    Thanks

For all of us steve

james

BluesLover
    Thanks

That lemon juice trick...Eddie Kirkland used to do that. Where'd you pick that one up, James?

Cheers,

Doug

Blues Crazy
    Thanks

DAVID JOHANSEN ...........our voices are similar though I have more ability to hit higher n cleaner notes......but anyone with a raspy voice needs all the control they can get.

JAMES

More Blues
    Thanks

I agree, lemon is good or, if you've got a sore throat, honey and lemon juice. I sometimes drink club soda with a twist of lemon and sip it between songs but the best cutter I know is lager beer. You've got to sip it and not guzzle it because if you get a buzz going you'll overdrive your voice into that whiskey-voice three note range. I usually play the whole night sipping on the same pint of beer. My wife doesn't think it looks professional to be drinking on stage. Of course, she's not the one singing!
    "The business ain't nothin' but the blues!" - Roland Kirk
    http://mike-wilhelm.com