BluesLover
    Thanks

Default 1968 Gibson Melody Maker?

Last night I was at a friend's jamming. He has a good collection of guitars, pulled one out and handed it to me saying, "Try my '68 two-pickup Melody Maker".

It was light. The body looked like a plain dark cherry SG; no neck binding, dot markers; the headstock was black, smallish and plain with Kluson tuners...Gibson logo but nothing on the truss rod cover. Two pickups that looked like PAFs and a wammy bar.

I'll be searching the web for info on this but just wondered if any of you know of this guitar...or if my friend is mistaken?

Doug

More Blues
    Thanks

No, your friend is right. I had one of those in high school for a while, and stupidly, I traded a first issue(68 ) pink paisley Tele for it. I later totally modded it with a Firebird pu @ neck, and a T-top @ bridge. I also replaced the tuners with Schalers. Cool axe with a rubbery neck. It was walnut color, and I'm pretty sure it had the whammy bar. It desperately needed frets when I traded it for a almost new 72 Strat hard tail. It traded in the Strat soon after for a 59/60 LP Spcl.

BluesLover
    Thanks

For an LP Special?...sound like a good trade. That's my dream axe, Dave.

yeah, since I posted my question, I did find that MM on the web. Never knew about it!

Blues Crazy
    Thanks

Gibson has just released a TWO PUP MM but with TWO P-90;s vs the single coils that they just brought back two years ago prior to that they were about $300.00new and resembled a very thing like an SG thin LP withone p-90 inother owrds a cheap LPJR>

But do not take that litely as Iused several onstage with high set ups for playing slide and had each one ina =different tuning.

Meldoy Makers though back in the early days came with STUDENT NECKS< FULL SIZE AND 3./4 so if you buy one be sure it has a full size neck or else your stuck with a less then collectible as

Doug if your thing is LP SPECIAL.....to do it cheaply buy a NEW or usd LP JR....and ad a P-90....take ya all of 2 hours tops and BINGO ya got LP SPECIAL the way you want it without the price
    DO NOT BUY ANYof the new ones from GC as they ahev 2-4 piece bodies, and cheaper pups.

The older single coils Gibsin used had tremendous output and reat tonal versatility

JAMES

5. The Following User Says Thank You to voodoo For This Useful Post:

BluesHawk (11-15-2011)