Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, please.

More Blues
    Thanks

Default Help, please.

Ok. I love to sing. I sit in my music room, play guitar and sing all day. I have fun. then, I recorded myself, I got a taste of how bad I really am. I am often flat. my voice waivers in and out of tune. I don't like my tone. It makes me sad. not just "aw shucks" sad, deeply depressed--like I don't want to even try.

here are a couple of links to give an example. I am not fishing for compliments. if you tell me it sounds good, I will know you are a liar. I just want to give some examples of my problems:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGcRskw7-EI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpcV-wJG4qE

I don't know where to start, but really want to be better. Can anyone suggest?

Blues Crazy
    Thanks

matt can you please email me??

james

BluesLover
    Thanks

I like your telecaster Matt!

I suck at signing. I am worse than you. I sing about like Bret Michaels farts.

More Blues
    Thanks

Thanks Jake,
    it has a really nice neck, and I prefer the smaller frets of the vintage reissues.

More Blues
    Thanks

James bro:

I responded by PM before 8 this morning. let me know if you got my info.

no hurry and rest up.

Matt

BluesTalker
    Thanks

I've only been singing about 4 years now. Reason being no one else wanted to. So I stepped up. Now I'm still selfconscious about my voice, but better than some. The 1st thing is to remember your voice to you isn't the same as others hear it. So record your self, get used to it. 2nd don't strain, when your done you'll know it. Maybe you can take a few lessons. And last but not least don't try and do songs that aren't in your vocal range. I used to jam with these guys who loved to play the Eagles, but I couldn't sound like them (wonder why) so I quit doing them. There are alot of singers that still don't like their voices, Eric Clapton was almost pushed into it, John Lennon always liked to over-dub. And the most important thing is to just have fun, it will come. If your voice is half way descent most people will say " I wish I could do that".

BluesLover
    Thanks

I'd echo Slap's wise words. Plus you get better at it as time goes on. I can't stand my own voice but people tell me it is great (they are crazy of course). It is like anything else, the more you do it the easier it gets.
    History is only important when you are making it

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noname View Post
    Ok. I love to sing. ...

I don't know where to start, but really want to be better. Can anyone suggest?
    In my opinion, hearing is the key to producing any kind of music, but especially singing. Recording yourself singing songs and then listening to the recordings is part of the process, but not the whole process.

You can try this, it helped me:

1. Play an E major scale on the guitar, starting on the lowest note of standard tuned guitar. Play the first note, and then try sing it. If the note is too low, keep moving up the scale until you come to a note that you can sing comfortably. When you get to the note that you can sing comfortably, listen to the note that you are playing on the guitar and the note that you are singing. Adjust the the pitch of the note that you are singing until it matches the note on the guitar. Keep going up the scale until you hit the top of your range. By the way, you should write down the bottom and top notes of your singing range for future reference.

2. Take a recording of a song that you want to sing. Transcribe the melody of the song. If you don't read and write music, write the melody in tablature. Yes, you could use sheet music, but the transcribing is part of improving your hearing. Now, are the top and bottom notes of the melody in your range? If not, transpose the melody until it is in your range. When you have the melody in your range, play each note of the melody on your guitar, then sing the note. Don't worry about the rhythm -- sing each note for the the same number of beats. Your goal should be to match the pitch of each note in the melody.

3. Try to sing the melody a capella and hear the pitch of each note.

4. Finally, pick up your guitar and sing the song in rhythm. You may not be pitch-perfect, but you should be able to hear the melody that you are singing more clearly.

When I started singing, after years of playing backup to other singers, I realized that my vocal range is bass and a lot of the singers whose songs I was trying to learn were tenors. I just couldn't hit those high notes. So I made a point of finding singers whose vocal range was similar to mine. Whether I wanted to learn their songs or not, it's been fun to sing along with them in the privacy of my car.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NJJax For This Useful Post:

BluesHawk (07-17-2013)

Thanks

Relax dude your not that bad.

There’s no substitute for strength. That only comes by using it. Good breathing habits helps as well.

Breathing is a good place to start. Learn to take a sharp deep breath before you sing. Never held. It should be one motion. In and immediately start to sing. Listen to pro singers for it. They all do it for a reason.

Play a cord on your guitar and sing the first note that comes to mind. Keep strumming and holding that note. Try to keep it on pitch for as long as you can. Now do it with a different note. This is a great way to strengthen your upper and lower reaches of your range. Remember to use the breathing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to blue rat For This Useful Post:

BluesHawk (07-17-2013)

Thanks

I think you have a very nice timbre and manner of performance, it's true your intonation is pretty bad, but that can be corrected! I would guess you started singing as an adult already?