Page 1 of 210 1231151101 ... LastLast
    Blues Crazy
    Thanks

Cool What are you listening to now???

HEY GUYS......and gals

This is a great idea brought up by MANNY and DUB and other in the SUGGESTION FORUM...

I have no idea how to get this up to the top where the JOKES PICS AND BOARD RULES are at, and hopefully when HERB or SA comes on if they know how to they can put it up there so it STAYS up there FOREVER !~!!!!

So I guess I'll start what am I listening to right now....

I am listening to the newest album by BUDDY GUY "SKIN DEEP"
    WHAT AN EXCELLENT ALBUM and is also nominated for BLUES ALBUM OF THE YEAR !!!!!

COMING UP NEXT IS BB KING's newer CD titled ONE KIND FAVOR

MAN if ya don;t have either one PLEASE do yourself a favor and go get them !!!!!!

SO WHAT RE YA LISTENING TO

Voodoo

BTW....BB DIDN:T COME ON SO ONE OF MY FAVORITE ALBUMS OF ALL TIME IS ON ....
    REMEMBER THE BAND FACES.?????.....

Well it's the album with "STAY WITH ME" on it.....it's a FAV of not only mine but STRATTY STEVE as well as we are both RONNIE LANE AND RONNIE WOOD FANS !!!!

THE ALBUM TITLED "A NOD IS AS GOOD AS A WINK TO A BLIND HORSE"

You can pick it up for a mere 5.99 in some stores and if ya do you'll find yourself asking the question WHY didn;t I hear all these other songs off this album ???? It is a very good album with GREAT KEYBOARD WORK GREAT SLIDE......
    VOCALS both by RONNIE LANE and ROD STEWART !!!!!!!

Voodoo

BluesLover
    Thanks

I have been listening a a lot of Jimi Hendrix today because I wanted to refresh my playing of the songs. It led me on to Stevie Ray Vaughan because I wanted to listen to his version of Little Wing and I just kept listening.
    Having read Jame's post I think I will also have a listen to the Faces- as James said, I am a huge fan of that band and in particular that album.
    History is only important when you are making it

Blues Crazy
    Thanks

WHOSE GONNA FILL THERE SHOES by BUDDY GUY !!!

Voodoo

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

I got my shipment from Bullmoose Records today, so right now it's the second (solo performance) disc of Lightnin' Hopkins, "The Complete Aladdin Recordings."

Earlier today it was "The Sky Is Crying: The History of Elmore James." I love that stuff.

Regarding The Faces, I plan on picking up "Good Boys While They're Asleep," which is a compilation of early stuff. Their music and Rod Stewart's "Gasoline Alley" were favorites of mine long ago, and my brother keeps reminding me to catch up to them again.

I was poking around on the web and came across Bull Moose Jackson's original version of "Big Ten Inch Record." What a pleasure that was! I missed an opportunity to buy his "best of" from Daedelus Music at a rock-bottom price a few months ago and am still kicking myself :cry:
    "Oh, yea, the blues has got me."

*Peter Green*

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

This morning it was Son House's "The Original Delta Blues" (sit back, close eyes, sip coffee), and IMHO it doesn't get more real than this. I realize this 1965 recording isn't as definitive as the 1941-42 Library of Congress records, but he still sounded exceptionally good late in his career. On a side note, I've always heard Paul Butterfield creditied with inventing the extended blues jam (East-West), but many of the tracks on "Delta Blues" are in the range of 5-6 minutes, and "Levee Camp Moan" is 9:28. And Son didn't need any extended guitar solos to fill it out and keep it interesting. The short unaccompanied vocals "John the Revelator" and "Grinnin' In Your Face" especially grabbed me (so that's where the Climax Blues Band found that one )

Next I put on "John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton" to see if I like it any better these days. But it sort of lost me after the long drum solo on "What'd I Say" and I never really reconnected with it. DownBeat once called Mayall's voice "pale" and that's as good a description as any I've heard. And - although many of you will consider it heresy - I always found Clapton, even at his most nimble, just slightly more heavy-handed than Peter Green, and that opinion still holds.

Right now I have the superb Lazy Lester "I Hear You Knockin'!!! (The Excello Singles") on the player. It's billed as swamp blues, but it often sounds just as much like early swamp-rock and a variant of rockabilly to me. At 30 tracks, a certain sameness creeps into the vocals, but his harp playing keeps it fresh. If you like Louisiana roots music (especially Fats Domino) and can find this, I highly recommend it,
    Last edited by Dub; 03-29-2009 at 10:59 AM.

*Peter Green*

BluesLover
    Thanks

I'm listening to John Scofield album called "That's What I Say". Check out a tune called Crying Time.

Also I'm listening to some Billy Cobham, a song called Stratus from the Billy Cobham Anthology.

Blues Crazy
    Thanks

I am listening to DAVID HOLE probably the most unknown and best slideplayer in AUSTRALIA at least...maybe all over.....YES EVEN WITH SONNY LANDRETH IN THE CONTEST.

DAVID HOLE IS ON ALLIGATOR RECORDS WWW.ALLIGATOR.COM
    Which means you can get all his albums cd's dvd/s online and fast and for a fair price.

This guy is straight ahead ROCK IN' BLUES.....most songs are in OPEN G OR E so it leaves plenty of room for practicing SLIDE.....SHORT FUSE BLUES IS OUTSTANDING, and so are all his albums.

AHHH a favorite of mine just came on........It's a DELBERT MCLINTON song ......titled "I GOT DREAMS TO REMEMBER"
    What a GREAT slow BLUES song that tears at the heartand can have many interpitations

If ya never heard it it too is on ALLIGATOR RECORDS 25th Anniversary 2 cd set or you can buy DELBERT"S cd.......LOT"S of GOODIES at ALLIGATOR.

It's a cold damp rainy day in the Northeast today... a perfect day to watch the RACE and play and play and play.

It's definetly a FIREBIRD with 3 P-90's slide bluesy day !!!!! DANG I love that ax !!!!!

That Firebird I recently got was the missing link in my search for the BEST of P-90 accesorised guitars.
    I lucked out as they hadn;t made NON REVERSE FIREBIRDS since 2002 and then all were mini humbucker equipped...not my choice for GOOD tone !!!

AT first I was having a bit of a hard time playing it as I play my Les Pauls down low just above my knees but with that HUGE FIREBIRD I had to raise up the neck and then it was like t was made for my arms....long and lanky !!!! LOL

Voodoo
    Last edited by voodoo; 03-29-2009 at 01:15 PM.

BluesTalker
    Thanks

I have been listening to BB King-One Kind Favor,Strawbs-Broken Hearted Bride,two great cd's from two legends.

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

I dug out Dave Hole's "Under the Spell" from 1999 and put it on. Haven't listened to it in a while but it sounds as good as I remember, especially his slide playing. Right now he's cranking through a rocker with the chorus "Gimme more lovin' than attitude." Nice stuff!

And my favorite John Scofield is from his pre-Medeski, Martin and Wood days. It's called "Blue Matter" and I learned about it in the late 1980s from an FM DJ who had great musical taste but suffered a typically "Vermont" undoing. He murdered his former girlfriend at a local gas station cuz she left him for another woman and he's now doing time.

Nice to see another Delbert McClinton fan. I first heard him in the early '70s when I got his "Genuine Cowhide" on vinyl. It had "Blue Monday, "Please, Please, Please" and a bunch of other R&Bish tracks that have been largely reissued on his "Genuine Rhythm and Blues" CD. I also have "Live in Austin" and a couple of his more recent discs but I like the older stuff best. He had a great songwriter in (I think his name is) Gary Nicholson.

*Peter Green*

BluesLover
    Thanks

Basia (One of my secret sin listenings....)
    Yer guitar pickin' friend,
    Brown Bad Boy McGee (aka Herb)
    "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing, 'n stuff!"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to herb For This Useful Post:

forcio (08-17-2017)