BluesLover
    Thanks

That's OK, SA, I can step up and honestly say I didn't! :wink:
    Yer guitar pickin' friend,
    Brown Bad Boy McGee (aka Herb)
    "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing, 'n stuff!"

BluesTalker
    Thanks

Old thread, but a subject near & dear (so to speak). Personally, my rule is no more than 2 pints while the gig is on - to wet the whistle between songs.

I used to work with a drummer who was very impressive for the first half of every gig, then gradually became less so as the night wore on. The fact that he doubled on vocals didn't help much either. He serendipitously ended up removing himself from the picture before it became too big a problem, but I could see it comin' eventually.
    I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets...

More Blues
    Thanks

I love beer. However, I find it to be hard work, taking concentration and focus, to play my best. So if I am performing, no booze. I don't touch anything else anyway. Now, if we are at a party and pull out some guitars for fun, I will nurse my beers. I actually find it a good way to keep from having too many.
    Last edited by noname; 12-31-2009 at 04:36 PM.

BluesTalker
    Thanks

Yeah.....

.....other peoples.

BluesTalker
    Thanks

NO, I don't. If it's a paid gig, it's like drinking on the job to me. If it's just a bunch of the guys jamming around I might have one or two beers, but if I have to many I found myself burpping into the mic. Now if I'm not driving or playing I'll have a few.

BluesTalk Member
    Thanks

Since I've never played out, I can't comment on gigs. But like NONAME, I love good beer. I know when I've got an entire Sunday afternoon to practice my keyboard the first three are great, but the fourth or fifth, my brain and my fingers quit communicating. My husband has played in a few blues bands and there is always the guy that has to get trashed. Once, our keyboard player just forgot which end was up and set a can of Bud upside down on his keyboard. That thing started playing by itself, this wild stuff. Then one time our lead guitar player was playing along and just drop his guitar right out of his hands. God what a noise that made. I never could figure out how someone could get that trashed on Miller Lite. Anyway, if I ever get to the point where I play out anywhere, I'll keep it to three beers with alot of water in between.
    Last edited by theredhead; 02-28-2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: misspelled NONAME, good lord!!
    In the end what matters is not the years in your life but the life in your years...........

BluesLover
    Thanks

I usually just have one beer before I go on stage to help me get over the stage fright jitters. Once I start playing the nervousness disappears and I'll nurse it to keep my mouth and throat moist for singing. If I play multiple sets I might have a second, but switch to soft drinks or water before it's near time to hit the road.
    Last edited by Dangerine49; 04-04-2010 at 01:21 PM.
    Love them little mousies, mousies what I love to eat...
    Bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet.

BluesLover
    Thanks

I will drink a little at a gig....but I never drink at practice...but I'm not in a band right now so I guess it's a moot point for me....

Blues Crazy
    Thanks

Never no way not again not a chance

I USED TO THIKNK I SANG AND PLAYED BETTER HIGH OR WITH A FEW DRINKS WHEN THE TRUTH BE TOLD AS A GUITARIST HIGH OR DRUNK i WAS SLOPPY AND THOUGH I THOUGHT I WAS ONE I SCREWED UP A LOT.

THAN AS A SINGER LIQUOR PUTS MUCUS ON YOUR VOCAL CHORDS AND WITH A VOICE LIKE MICK JAGGER OR HOWLIN WOLFE, BB KING VERY DEEP AND GRITTY I NEEDED CONTROL OF MY VOICE AND THE LIQUIR RUINED THAT......IT WASN;T UNTIL I SAW A LIVE VIDEO OF US PLAYING AT CBGB;LS WHEN WE DID A FRIDAY AND SATURDAY WITH THE RAMONES BEFORE GOINGON TUR TO THE UL WITH THEM''I WAS HORRIFIED I STUNK

MY GUITAR PLAYING WHILE DRUNK STUNK.....EVEN I HATED IT..SURE IOT WAS OK BUT YA DONLT GET RECORD CONTRACTS FOR BEING OK

THEN THE NIGHT CAME WHEN I TRIED TO FREE BASE.....NEVER THOUGHT THAT THE SMOKEOFF THE COKE COULD FREZE MY VOVAL CHORDS...WELL IT DID AND MY VOICE WAS BREAKING UP AND CRACKING THAT MY MANAGER, BAND MATES AND PEOPLE IN THE AUDIENCE WERE LOOKING AT ME AS IF I WAS TURNING INTO A WEREFOLF !!!

I LOOK AT ITLIKE THIS NOW......MUSIC IS MY JOB AND I WOULD NOT GO TO WORK HIGH OR DRUNK

MAKING IT IN MUSIC IS SO HARD AS IT IS THE LAST THING YA NEED IS A FOLLOWING WOITH THE WORDS DRUNK AND DRUGS.

SO THOUGH I DID I WILL NOT EVER AGAIN !~!!!

IT;S THAT IMPORTANT TO ME.

Voodoo

Thanks

For vocal health, water only. Hot tea or coffee before I sing to help me warm up. Maybe some lemon in the tea if I'm a little phlegmy. You can buy a new guitar, but you only get one set of vocal folds.