Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    More Blues
    Thanks

Default Do you drink at gigs?

I'll kick off a new conversation:

I don't nor have I let my guys drink at gigs in the past. If they must, they have to wait till the last set. Not sure how that will work with the JU JU Kings. We are really a 1 1/2 hour concert/festival band so it most likely won't be an issue.

In the past I was working with a pedal steel player who drank at gigs from the minute he got thier. One night about the beging of set 2 (5 set night) I bent down and said "Silver Wings in E" He just sat there....so I said again "silver wings.....in the key of E". Again he just sat there. So I said "SILVER WINGS IN E" while I smacked him in the back of the head! :evil: Well anyway his hat flew off his head, and it scared him so bad his dentures flew out of his mouth and landed on the pedal steel strings. :roll: Of course he did not have his volume pedal on off so it made this huge noise. As the amplifier picked up the noise it started to feedback causeing the strings to vibrate more. The more they vibrated the hard it was for him to pick up his teeth off the strings. Being drunk as he was this was pretty darn commical. I laugh everytime I think about that day. Oh yea we were asked to leave him at home by the owner for the following night!

:lol: :lol:
    Headed south to the Delta, Back to where it all began! Searching for the crossroads, where the devil dealt his hand.

BluesTalker
    Thanks

All five of us drink if we wish while playing, but no one among us has ever behaved unprofessionally because of alcohol consumption.

We do have a substance problem, though, and it's actually just a substance abuse issue aggravating an existing problem.

We have a smug, apathetic bass player who think's he's irreplaceable because he has a very good voice.

WHEN SOBER: He has substandard equipment, he makes very frequent errors (even on his OWN songs.. even on stuff he's played for years) and he is extremely lazy about learning new material at all. EVEN IF all this were not true, this guy doesnt' know a groove from a buttcrack. I'd give my pancreas if this clown would just play me a bunch of nice legato quarter-notes...and include my left kidney if they fit the chord prog.

SO.... that's how well he plays the first set.

THEN during every break he goes out to his car and tokes. The quality of his work goes downhill from there.

This is no moral judgement about ganja - this man just does not do his job.

Finding a competent replacement is proving to be difficult, but we're keeping our eyes/ears open.

In fact, this indirectly relates to alcohol consumption...because the only time I DO drink on stage is when this jerk has embarassed me so much I need an apathy enhancer.
    - - - - - - "I'd like to find your inner child
    - - - - - - and kick his little #$%
    - - - - - - Get over it!"
    - - - - - - - - - - Don Henley

More Blues
    Thanks

Lousi,

Where are you located?

JD
    Headed south to the Delta, Back to where it all began! Searching for the crossroads, where the devil dealt his hand.

BluesTalker
    Thanks

I sent a PM to your inbox.

BluesLover
    Thanks

We have a few during gigs. Some times more ... on our CD release party I got a little carried away. On a regular night, I'll have two or three shots (in the course of the whole night).

Alcohol is very, very tough on my voice. Ice isn't very nice to my voice either. I have this condition in which any carbonation causes migraines, so I avoid soda and beer as well. I drink tea, or room temperature water for the most part during the show. To be cute I order, "Ice water, hold the ice, with a twist."

I don't object to ganja, but once again, any form of smoke is hard on the voice. It's bad enough being in a smoky lounge for five or six hours, without adding the additional smoke from weed. I do find that it helps my song writing, but it isn't important enough to risk our professional image.

As a band, we all indulge, but in moderation.
    www.myspace.com/cherriviolators
    www.cnvband.com

Love town
    I can't settle down
    And do the teeth still match the wound?
    Take a good look around, in love town.

BluesTalker
    Thanks

I no longer drink, smoke, toke, snort... etc. I drink ghastly herbal freakin tea with golden seal root for my voice. It holds out well all night and recovers fine for the next night. Pop, beer, and smoke cause your vocal chords to dry out. That just leads to burning out early. I have found that I am most creative when sober, rested, and happy. I can play at the top of my capabilities consistantly like this. My band mates tend to drink too much beer, and hang out in the parking lot on breaks. While they're good musicians they tend to forget parts and miss cues as the night progresses.

BluesTalker
    Thanks

I might just check that stuff out, BillJ.

BluesLover
    Thanks

I don't drink at all, or do drugs. I had a drug problem way back in the dark ages ('67 to '72), and it taught me many serious lessons. We just fired a drummer because of his drinking, and won't allow it onstage anymore. The music we do for the most part demands complete and "unaltered" attention, otherwise train wrecks occur. And that ain't a good thing!
    Yer guitar pickin' friend,
    Brown Bad Boy McGee (aka Herb)
    "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing, 'n stuff!"

BluesTalker
    Thanks

A friend of mine, who is a very successful recording artist, gave me some very good advice. He noticed that most of his competition drank or smoked pot, and they were not so productive. He found being sober just gave him the edge he needed to out produce the compitition. Simple plan... that works.

Now when I'm not playing, I really like a few beer, being Canadian and all eh!

BluesLover
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill J
    I have found that I am most creative when sober, rested, and happy.
    I'd go along with that Bill. The guys that I jam with are all heavy smokers of the herbal kind. I gave that, and the rest, up years ago when my head demons got the better of me. Now I just stick with the odd beer or three, but not while playing. You can guess the only one that's still playing sharp at the end of the night. I suppose that's why they all play percussion :P (insert drummer jokes here...)
    Beware the Stank at BluesTalk!